Saturday, March 7, 2015

What I've Read: The Witness Wore Red

Thanks to a snow day (read about about those glorious days here) I was able to finish The Witness Wore Red.

                                            

Side note: I was able to score this book for only about $3.00.  Thanks to Books-a-Million for their end of year clearance sale and buy 2 get 1 free sale!!  The hubby and I were able to get 9 books for under $40.  Yes, not as cheap as the library, but we live in a small town and our library isn't massive, so this turned out to be a great option for us.  And I also think there is something beautiful about a bookshelf packed with books.  Anyways, on with the review...


W.O.W.!!! It has been a long time since I have read such a captivating book.  This is Rebecca Musser's true story of how she left the FLDS (Fundamentalist Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints)--you probably know them best as the "cult" ran by Warren Jeffs.  This book is a captivating in that she examines and is brutally honest about the inner-workings of her former church.  I also appreciated the honest look she took at herself and how she played a role in allowing the atrocities to continue, while she was still there.  

At many times I found myself reading with my mouth agape, astonished by the lengths at which Warren Jeffs went to promote his crimes.  Using religion as a means to manipulate people has got to be the most disgusting thing I have ever read about.  

I hope by the end of the book you will grow to appreciate the abounding inner strength that Rebecca never knew she had.  Even though God was used against her and as a means to justify the horrible things she lived through, you will be amazed by her new relationship with and understanding of God.

What have you read lately?

No comments:

Post a Comment