Saturday, November 22, 2014

Christmas Crafting in about 10 minutes

Mark Twain said it best when he said, "There is no such thing as a new idea. It is impossible. We simply take a lot of old ideas and put them into a sort of mental kaleidoscope. We give them a turn and they make new and curious combinations. We keep on turning and making new combinations indefinitely; but they are the same old pieces of colored glass that have been in use through all the ages."

I think Pinterest proves that to be true.  We don't have any new ideas, we just take what we see and make it our own.  I found an incredibly cute Christmas tree during my hours of searching and the kiddos and I decided to try it out!  

Here's how we pulled it off:

1.  Select whatever Christmas themed paper you like.  I chose to get a whole pack of Christmas scrapbook paper because 1. I am not the best at mixing patterns and 2. I knew that I would be able to use what was left for a ton of other projects.  AND 3. it was 50% off at Hobby Lobby...I absolutely love that store!!




2.  Select the patterns you want to use.  We decided on the darker prints so that it would show up better on our tree.  


3.  Take your paper and cut it into strips about 1x6.  TIP: I found it easiest to start with an already striped pattern and use that line as a guide.  Cut off one strip and then cut that one in half.





4.  Using sewing pins, fold each strip in half and press it into your styrofoam form.  Start with the bottom layer and work your way around.  TIP: I found it covered best to create one layer and then go back and add another strip of paper where the other pieces met.






5.  Continue with this method working your way up the tree.  

6.  We added 3 cute little pompoms to the top for a tree topper.




Have fun!!  We loved doing this together and the finished product will look cute on my mantle once we pull out all of our other decorations!

Do you have any cute suggestions for us?  I'd love to hear them!

No comments:

Post a Comment