Tuesday, August 19, 2014

True Cost of Supper

Hoisin Chicken Kebobs with Bok Choy and Peppers

I found this amazing recipe here from Food Network.  I found a deal on this magazine and was able to get a year's subscription for only $5!  Score!  There are so many amazing recipes, but they can seem a little intimidating.  We absolutely love to grill and I love it because there is much less clean up in the kitchen.  I'll do ANYTHING to have less mess--well ANYTHING may be a stretch, there's probably a limit somewhere there, but I haven't found it yet!  

Here's how they turned out:






I must say the chicken was wonderful.  It tasted as good as anything you could order at an Asian restaurant and I love knowing exactly what went into our food.  The last year or so I have been really trying to reduce the processed food we eat.  It's a delicate balance between expense and health.  Isn't it so sad that we often have to choose between those two?  Eating healthy is expensive!  Thankfully, we have a garden that is able to help with that cost.

Here's the breakdown of expense for this dish.  You'll see a few processed foods in there, especially the hoisin sauce.  I chose to take the easier way out on this one.  If you have a good, inexpensive hoisin sauce recipe I would love to have it!  We will definitely be making this again!

Hoisin Chicken Kebobs
Chicken Thighs  $4.48
Soy Sauce  $.08 (a staple)
Fresh Ginger  $.24
Asian Seasoning $2.59
Hoisin Sauce $2.39
Sesame Seeds $.50
Green Onion $.59
Kebobs $.99

Total: $11.86

Sides
Rice $3.98
Bok Choy $1.58
Red Pepper $1.50

Total: $7.06

Meal Total: $18.92 or $3.15/person (My family of 4 plus my parents!)

I will happily take this total for feeding all 6 of us.  There weren't any leftovers, but everyone left the table full!

Remember: I don't include the full price of an item if it is a staple for our family.  What is a staple for your family will obviously be different than what is for my family.  If something is not a staple for us and I buy it specifically for one dish, then I will include the full price of that item.

Family Reactions

Daddy: "I wish I could have eaten more, but I wasn't feeling the best." Bubbie: "Really good and the rice was super good." Sissy: "I didn't eat the chicken.  I ate applesauce." (Anyone noticing a pattern here? Thank goodness we're well stocked on applesauce.)

No comments:

Post a Comment