Sunday, November 16, 2014

Thankful Thursday Week 2

I had originally had a different thought for this week's Thankful Thursday post, but life sometimes has a way of changing things up on you.

My grandmother, one of the strongest women I know, seems to be moving closer every day to leaving this earthly world for her eternal kingdom.  For the past 16 years she has lived so bravely, and mostly independently, after suffering a massive stroke.  In the early years after the stroke, she retaught herself how to cook, clean, and enjoy life in a totally different way.  She learned how to use her left hand and how to always let us know exactly what was on her mind, even though she was unable to speak.  I'm not sure if I would have the same strength and determination she has displayed given such tough circumstances.

Now, I had every intention of posting this on Thursday, I even had the pictures selected and ideas flowing.  However, Thursday morning, we received word that my grandmother had departed this life for her heavenly one.  There is such a hole in my soul right now.   I will miss her smiles, homemade rolls, that grandma "squishiness", and the comfort of being at Memaw's house.  Her life was a shining example of dedication to others.  In this day in time, I think we could use a few more people like the women and men of their generation. Life was simple; we over-complicate things.  Everything was done to either serve the Lord or their family.  We don't need all of this other extra nonsense; these are just distractions from what is important.  We seem to think as time marches on we figure things out more.  I think I disagree.  I think the secret to happiness is already out there and we only need to look to our grandparents to find it.  When reflecting on her life, I think it can be summed up in three words: Faith, Family, and Food.  These are the keys to happiness.

If, when at the end of my days, people remember me as everyone remembers my grandfather and her, then I will have led a blessed life.  They just don't make them like that anymore.  I love you Memaw and Papaw.


Job 14:14-16If a man dies, will he live again? All the days of my hard service I will wait for my renewal to come.  You will call and I will answer you; you will long for the creature your hands have made.  Surely then you will count my steps but not keep track of my sin.

No comments:

Post a Comment