Tuesday, January 6, 2015

What I've Read: Week 1


One of my goals this year is to refocus on reading for pleasure.  When I took a different teaching position at my school, I left behind the luxury of reading daily with my middle schoolers.  As a result, I have been seriously lacking in my reading for pleasure.  I still read my Bible devotions and self-improvement books, but it had been months since I had lost myself in a good book.  Christmas break provided a wonderful excuse to get back at it, and boy am I glad I did!

We spent a week after Christmas in Tennessee and without the stress of having to clean and maintain our house, I found myself with a lot of extra time!  It was just what I needed.  Thankfully, before we left, I asked my sweet sister-in-law (so excited I can finally use that term!) if she had any good recommendations.  She is a voracious reader and I'm so jealous she can read so fast and finish books so quickly.  She told me about The Rosie Project and O.M.G. I'm soooo glad I followed her advice.  This book is absolutely hilarious.  The main character, Don, is a geneticist and has Aspergers, but doesn't realize it, and sets about to find the perfect wife, based solely on a questionnaire.  His self-admitted lack of social skills, makes him think that he can find a suitable mate if she fits into the right categories, completely ignoring emotions involved.  He is an extremely accessible character and the author, Graeme Simsion, does a fantastic job of making his characters authentic and you can truly see the world through their eyes.  I highly recommend this book if you are looking for an easy, light-hearted read!



                                                     

Starting to read again has been a real pleasure and so good for my soul.  I can get lost in a book for a little while and totally forget all of the daily pressures.  Such a good release!!

What do you suggest I add to my must read list?

No comments:

Post a Comment