Tuesday, November 4, 2014

The Beauty of Saying Yes

Sometimes I feel like I am some sort of a "No" Mombot walking around spitting "No" out to any one who passes by.
  "Can I have another cookie?"    NO
  "Can I eat supper upstairs?"       NO
  "Can I...?"
  "Can I...?"
  "Can I...?"
  NO NO NO NO

Maybe it's survival mode, trying to keep everything under control, but I even drive myself crazy with the constant No's going on around here.  I can only imagine how my poor kids feel.  Now, I'm definitely not one of those Mamas who give in to every whim of their children, but I think I could say "Yes" a little bit more.  So, when this little blue eyed lady asked if she could paint my toenails I felt that twinge that said I should say "Yes".


Did things get a little messy?  Yes!!




Was it worth it?  Absolutely!!  My hot pink, hot mess toes were exactly what I needed in my day.  Her concentration and pride in polish job erased any doubt I had about saying yes.

Now you're probably thinking I immediately took the polish off once she went to bed.  Well, I didn't.  I left it on there for several days--in flip flop weather nonetheless!  I might have touched up a little of the polish that ran down my toe, but the rest of it stayed.  And it made me smile every time I saw it.

If we are constantly worried about things getting messy or a little off schedule (I'm soo guilty of this!) then we are missing out on the every day moments to enjoy the daily beauty of life.

Psalm 118:24 reminds us: This is the day the Lord hath made, let us REJOICE and be glad it.

It doesn't take a special day to rejoice or find beauty.  Sometimes all it takes is a simple "yes" to a child's request and they can lead us to it.

No comments:

Post a Comment